My dear husband stumbled upon an interesting character in the church parking lot last Sunday...so this week we took the camera.

They were still there and we got some good shots. And after some research...we now know that they are called Killdeer. Fascinating that they nest on the ground. Their nest is in one of the curbed-off areas with mulch in it. This mama thinks that nesting there seems quite dangerous. But, these parents are ever-present. The mom and dad take turns sitting on their eggs. And they are serious about protecting the offspring. I was sure not to get too close. But as Adam got closer she screamed at him and spread her wings. He wasn't at all intimidated...but I sure was. I know what damage I would do to someone after my babies...so I wasn't going to cross her!!
All of these shots are compliments of my husband. The ones I took are obviously from the safety of our car--and just didn't come out as well.
Look closely and you can see her eggs beneath her. God perfectly designed them to be speckled, and hard-to-see. He also created these birds in a way that they are born capable of walking very quickly. Just goes to show He sure did think of EVERYTHING!! And because of His wisdom in thinking of it all...my family got to enjoy a little bird-watching on our way into church! Neat.
Savoring the Moments
7 years ago

1 comments:
Ashleigh, you beat me to it! I took some pictures a week ago but hadn't had a chance to post them yet. I love the one you guys got where you can see the eggs! I went back by today to get a few more shots, and it's still sitting there on the nest. I'm hoping to get a post done today on it, and I'll give folks a link to your entry, too. Nice job!
Post a Comment