BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Parenting 101

You know, it is funny. I double-majored in Home Economics and Child Development.
I taught at the high school level for 7 years. And in those years I taught a Child Development and Parenting course every single year. And I enjoyed it.

Now, as a PARENT, I eat CROW almost on a daily basis!! I have even said: "The reason I can't lose all my baby weight is I continually eat CROW." Crow isn't very appetizing either! But, I have had to get used to it!!

In my 4 years of college (well over 4, but who was counting?) I never learned about my middle child! I never learned that he would look me in the eye and tell me that he is in charge. I never learned that children are negotiators. I also never learned that the 3rd year of life is almost as challenging as those terrible twos!

Wow, would I ever teach things differently!!

But, you know, one thing I would teach the same. "Parent with an end in mind."

Pray for me as I try to do that. Andy is such a charmer and as cute as the day is long...but he isn't going to make for a very fun teenager if I can't teach him that he isn't in charge!! We are working on the obedience thing with him. And I figured out that he thinks I am the one that is supposed to be obedient!

What a privilege it is to be on the other side of the Parenting class now. I am so thankful for my little crew and for the crow that they have forced me to eat. Now as I work to digest it all, I am praying for wisdom beyond the classroom and grace that covers my mistakes! Maybe one day I will have to go back JUST so I can have a chance to tell it like it really is!! OR maybe not!

1 comments:

JenB said...

Oh girl! How about being a L&D nurse without having kids yet?! My poor patients!
Love you!