BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Tuesday, September 9, 2008

I Am From

I got this idea from my dear friend, Jennifer's blog, and I LOVED hers. Maybe it is because I grew up with her and could relate to it. But, I decided to try one for myself.


I am from Afghan blankets made with love, from Members Only jackets and Speghetti o's.

I am from the church parsonage down the street and slightly outdated.

I am from the yard of dozens of tall pines taken down by Hugo, and the weeping willow planted by me.

I am from traveling to SC every holiday and crooked pinky fingers, from Bob and Marcia and Robert and Daisy.

I am from stubbornness and creativity. From tender-heartedness that brings tears when needed.

From "listen and listen good" and "I said so that is why".

I am from back-row Baptist. Grounded firmly in faith that spans generations.

I'm from Asheville, NC only to move down the mountain and grow real roots in home-town America where everyone had kin but me.

I am from the homemade barbeque of Cousin Peanut and Tom's treats in abundance from Granddaddy's truck.


From where is the convention this year? To trips to the lake. Topped off with many youth beach retreats.

I am from Christmas plays and Vacation Bible School. From walking to church to being first in line at another covered dish.

I am from homemade meals every night with sweet tea and rice n gravy. From supper is the night-time meal and dinner is served in the afternoon.

I am from the pictures on the side board changing all the time. From mama's art work and daddy's wood work displayed with pride. From homemade clothes and braided hair that only got angry once.

I am from living and loving and laughing and crying. From generous hands that taught me the value of a personal relationship with Jesus Christ.








*Here's the link for the poem format.

2 comments:

JenB said...

Love it! You did great!

Faith said...

I love that about "supper" and "dinner". This is great!