BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Sunday, December 5, 2010

A Day to Remember

Today I was blessed to be with my mama while she met her birth brother for the first time face to face.  It has been almost exactly one year since I discovered my mom's birth family.  She was adopted at 7-days-old.  And knew of her adoption most of her life.  At some point her adoptive parents gave her the adoption papers.  And with these papers came the knowledge of her birth name and her birth-parent's names.  It appeared that they were married, however young.  She also knew she was born in Fayetteville, NC, so we figured that her father was most likely in the service.
 
All of this was speculation until last December.  At that time I found someone with the same name as my mom's birth father on F*ceb00k.   It was a very unique name and I could not let it go.  So, I began to correspond with him a little.  And it became clear to me that this was my first cousin, my birth-grandfather's namesake.  So, I told him that I felt like his grandparents had given my mom up for adoption many many years ago.  He, of course was shocked, but the story fit on his side too.  And I quickly learned that my mom has two full-blooded younger brothers.  It has all been really exciting just knowing more of mama's heritage.  No, we do not have many more answers than we did before, as my grandparents took their secret of a first-born daughter to the grave. But we do have connections. Heritage. Bloodlines. Genetic paths. Similarities that are almost eerie! All the way to my mom and her birth-mom naming one son the same first name and a white dog the same name.  All of those things that are hard to understand or even explain unless you know adoption in a personal way.  Sure, understanding those things comes natural within your own families, but when you don't have knowledge, they simply don't exist.  But, now for my mama they do.

I would like to say that my sweet mama didn't NEED this information.  Because as a teenage girl Jesus took her into his family and completed her. And she became a daughter of the KING.  Who NEEDS earthy genetic knowledge when you are an heir to the banquet table in heaven?     

Despite her assured future with her heavenly father, having a key to her past sure has been a nice gift.  A gift that only Jesus could have provided.  That cousin that I found on the Internet deleted his account within a few months.  So, it was simply a timing thing.  And God planned it all out.  I sure am thankful He did.  And I am also thankful I got to be a witness to it all.

2 comments:

JenB said...

Oh my word!! How awesome! Glad you got to share, but now I want details!! ;)

Anne said...

They look just alike!!!